There is an abundance of extraordinary animals on Earth, some of which seem otherworldly. The octopus is a perfect example! With its unique appearance and various species, these creatures have captured the fascination of many. If you’re eager to learn how to draw an octopus, you’ve come to the right place. This step-by-step guide will have you creating an impressive octopus drawing in no time!
Let’s Get Started!
Step 1 – Drawing the Head
To begin, sketch a large, round head for the octopus. Use a curved line to outline the top of the head, leaving a gap at the bottom for the tentacles.
Step 2 – Adding Tentacles
Octopuses are known for their tentacles, so let’s start adding them. Draw two curvy lines on the left side, connecting them to the bottom of the head. Don’t hesitate to make the tentacles twist and turn!
Step 3 – Facial Details
Now it’s time to add more tentacles. Connect two more tentacles to the existing ones from the previous step. Feel free to change their positions for a unique look!
Step 4 – Adding More Tentacles
Keep up the momentum by drawing two additional tentacles. Remember to leave a small gap between the last tentacle and the right side of the head.
Step 5 – Final Tentacle
With only one tentacle left, draw it in the space on the right side of the head. Ensure that there are no gaps between the tentacles and the head.
Step 6 – Drawing the Face
Now let’s shift our focus to the face. Using two ovals, create the eyes, and add two smaller ovals inside each one for the pupils. Draw another oval for the mouth and add some lines for extra detail.
Step 7 – Final Details
To complete the drawing, add lines to the tentacles to create their bottom edges. Then, use dots or circles to represent the suction cups. Feel free to incorporate your own creative touches, such as an ocean background or additional sea creatures.
Step 8 – Adding Color
Now comes the fun part – coloring! Octopuses come in a wide range of vibrant colors, so let your imagination run wild. You can even experiment with different art mediums like acrylics or watercolors to bring your octopus to life.
5 Tips to Enhance Your Octopus Drawing
- Realistic Touch: If you want to add realism to your drawing, study photos of real octopuses to capture their unique features and textures.
- Undersea World: Expand your drawing by including other sea creatures or plants, such as seahorses, coral, or even sharks and whales.
- Background Fun: Consider drawing an ocean floor as a background, or get creative and explore other imaginative settings.
- Small Details Matter: Add spots to the octopus or bubbles around it – even the smallest details can make a significant impact.
- Embrace Color: Octopuses exhibit a stunning array of colors. Feel free to use your favorite shades and experiment with various art tools and mediums.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully completed this step-by-step guide on how to draw an octopus. Drawing becomes even more enjoyable when you have a guide to follow, but now it’s your turn to unleash your creativity. Feel free to add extra touches, such as backgrounds or additional sea creatures, to make your octopus drawing truly unique. Don’t hesitate to share your artwork with us on our Facebook and Pinterest pages. We can’t wait to see your incredible octopus creations!