Last Updated on May 11, 2023 by Dee
Are you interested in learning how to draw a wolf? Look no further! In this comprehensive tutorial, we will provide you with two step-by-step guides to help you create your own stunning wolf drawing.
Table of Contents
The following tutorial will focus on drawing the face and head of a wolf, providing detailed instructions for achieving a realistic representation. Even if you are a beginner, with the right guidance, you can create a stunning wolf drawing.
How to Draw a Wolf Face & Head Step by Step
- Start by drawing a circle as a basic shape for the wolf’s head.
- Overlap the circle with an oval shape to outline the wolf’s head and facial features.
- Draw a vertical and horizontal line to serve as a guideline for placing the eyes, ears, mouth, and other facial features.
- Sketch two triangles and two diagonal lines to form the ears and muzzle of the wolf.
- Carefully draw the shape of the wolf’s eyes, paying attention to their characteristic tapered half-oval shape and circular iris.
- Shape the wolf’s ears within the triangular outlines, curving them slightly as they reach the top.
- Outline the wolf’s nose, creating a square shape connected to the lips and mouth.
- Extend the muzzle forward, using parallel lines for the top part and a curved line underneath, forming a double-jaw appearance.
- Add layers of fur, using jagged lines to create texture and shadow within the wolf’s thick fur.
- Sketch the shape of the dark fur on the wolf’s face, emphasizing facial features.
- Define the fur lines around the wolf’s eyes, accentuating their beauty and mystique.
- Continue sketching the fur on the brow and nose area, adding depth and dimension.
- Further refine the drawing by adding more dark fur lines and shading.
- Shade the wolf’s eyes, filling in the white areas to create an intense gaze.
- Shade the nose and mouth, giving the impression of darkness between the lips and beneath the jaw.
- Softly shade the wolf’s ears, following the direction of the fur.
- Add shading to the top of the wolf’s head, building layers to create the appearance of a thick winter coat.
- Shade around the outside of the wolf’s head, enhancing depth and shadow.
- Work on shading along the brow area to intensify the wolf’s expression.
- Darken the shading on the wolf’s bridge and continue adding shadows around the snout and under the eyes.
- Lastly, shade the wolf’s neck and chest, layering pencil marks to create depth.
Congratulations! You have successfully completed your own realistic wolf drawing!
Wolf Body Drawing
If you’d like to add the body to your wolf drawing or need help with the correct proportions, follow these steps:
- Draw a circle in the upper half of the page and two triangles pointing upwards for the head.
- Below the circle, draw a vertical oval connected to a horizontal oval, forming the body.
- Use a vertical and horizontal line to guide the placement of the wolf’s features.
- Draw the hind legs and forelegs, using the elongated horizontal oval as a guide.
- Add the shape of the nose and shade it accordingly, focusing on the darkest areas.
- Sketch the wolf’s eyes, paying attention to their unique and captivating appearance.
- Add the shape of the mane under the muzzle, slightly overlapping the horizontal oval.
- Sketch the fur on the neck, head, and chest, creating the illusion of thick fur using hatching or layered pencil marks.
- Indicate darker fur on the upper part of the hind legs and back.
- Draw the wolf’s tail jutting out from the hind legs.
- Erase any guidelines and finalize your drawing.
Art Supplies to Create Your Wolf Drawing
To bring your wolf drawing to life, you will need the following art supplies:
- Pencils: Choose a graphite pencil with an appropriate softness level, such as a 2B, to control the darkness of your lines.
- Graphite Pencil Sharpener: Keep a sharpener handy to maintain fine lines and detailed work.
- Pencil Grips: Consider using a grip to enhance your control over the pencil.
- Kneadable Eraser: Use a kneadable eraser for precise erasing and corrections.
- Paper: Opt for heavyweight drawing paper or an A3 sketch pad.
- Digital Art: If you prefer digital art, an iPad with Procreate can be an excellent tool for creating stunning wolf drawings.
Drawing a wolf can be challenging, but with the step-by-step tutorials and tips provided, you can confidently create your own realistic wolf drawings. Bookmark Artsydee.com for more drawing tutorials and art inspiration!
Other articles you may enjoy:
- Mermaid Tail Template
- How to do a Daisy Flower Drawing
- 101 Cool Designs to Draw | Easy Ideas for Drawing Fun!
- Upside Down Drawing – Get Better at Drawing now!
- Learn How to Start Drawing – 22 Easy Tips to Get you Started!