Welcome to this step-by-step tutorial on how to draw books. In this guide, we will teach you how to draw a book standing up, a book cover, an open book, and even a stack of books. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced artist, you’ll find these book doodles both enjoyable and useful.
Supplies You’ll Need
Before we dive into the tutorials, here are the supplies you’ll need:
- Paper, sketchbook, or bullet journal
- Pigma Micron Pens (my personal favorite for doodling)
- Lead Pencil
If you want to explore more doodling ideas, make sure to check out our extensive list of step-by-step doodle tutorials!
Tutorial: How to Draw a Book Step by Step
Now let’s begin with our easy-to-follow book drawing tutorials.
Book Drawing for Beginners
- Start by drawing a basic rectangle. To add some interest, tilt it slightly.
- Add the spine, making sure to curve it at the top and bottom.
- Draw a parallel line for the back of the book and add curved lines along the spine for detail.
- Finally, write a title (you can choose any) and add a few lines to represent the pages.
Drawing a Book Cover
- Begin by drawing a horseshoe shape at an angle.
- Next, draw a slim rectangle for the spine, ensuring the curves at the top.
- Then, draw another rectangle for the book cover.
- Finally, add details such as the book title, spine details, and pages.
Drawing a Book Standing Up
- Draw a set of lines, varying their heights, which will become the book spines.
- Add small curved lines for the top and bottom of each book.
- Finally, add details to the spines such as shapes, lines, and book titles.
Drawing an Open Book
- Start by drawing a line to represent the center of the book.
- From this line, create two rectangles, curving the top and bottom lines to create the effect of an open book.
- Draw a few small lines at the bottom of the pages.
- Next, draw the front and back covers by drawing a large rectangle behind the doodles. Darken the edges slightly to make it stand out.
- Finally, add a cute bookmark to complete the drawing.
Drawing a Stack of Books
- Decide how many books you want in your stack and draw an elongated U on its side for each book.
- Add a slightly indented line at the top of each U to represent the pages.
- Draw the covers and spine. For the top book, draw three lines – two from the curve of the U for the spine and one from the top for the book cover. Then continue drawing the remaining spine lines.
- Finish by adding curved lines to represent the tops of the spines and the top of the book cover on the top book.
- Add a few lines to depict the pages of the books, and your stack of books drawing is complete.
Drawing books can be a fun and creative activity. Whether you’re using them for school, college book decoration, or a bullet journal book tracker, book doodles always add a touch of charm. With these step-by-step tutorials, you’ll be able to create stunning book drawings from various angles. So grab your art supplies and let your imagination run wild!